We are nau.
Our goal has been the same since the beginning-to use design to redefine business so that it can be a positive force for change. We do this the only way we know how: by making sustainability and philanthropy inherent in everything we do, from thoughtful, considered designs to giving back 2% of every sale to one of our Partners for Change.
It's an integrated approach which blends the tailored and the technical to craft beautiful, urban and outdoor apparel for the modern, mobile lifestyle. This means classic designs, timeless colors, and premium, eco-friendly fabrics. It means challenging assumptions to design beyond trends to create style that will live long after the season is over. No logos. No fleeting hues. Just simple, clean, well-crafted silhouettes built to move with the elements, but still look sleek in the city.
It's a different way of doing things. One that requires a shift in the way an industry does business. One that we're not afraid to stand behind. One that gives a damn-and is doing something about it.
Some of the things we do:
- donate 2% of every sale to humanitarian and environmental Partners for Change
- provide free public transportation for our employees
- source natural, renewable fibers produced in a sustainable manner
- use only certified organic cotton
- use synthetic fabrics that contain high recycled content - post-consumer preferred (goal: no virgin petroleum products)
- manage toxics in all product finishes and dyes, adhere to our restricted substances list
manufacturing + logistics
- specify high-quality manufacturing standards to ensure products are built to last
- use re-usable packaging and ship product to customers in post-consumer recycled or FSC-certified materials
- require all cut-and-sew factories to adhere to our factory code of conduct. Verify these practices by 3rd-party audits.
- design for lasting beauty: product colors, details, and shapes are minimalist, modern, and timeless
- establish a visual tone that allows for multifaceted use: products look as good on city streets as they perform well in the outdoors
- minimize consumer care
- cold water wash, line dry, no iron, no dry clean
- educate consumers on energy involved in product care
- make product that can be repaired (and make repairs cost effective)
end of life
- reduce: address over-consumption by designing products with durability and a lasting aesthetic, so they remain in use as long as possible
- reuse: don't discard used product, donate or recycle
- recycle: design our polyester products to be recyclable, and clearly label them for consumer awareness
To keep us on target, here are some of the official guidelines we follow:
Rules to Live By [click to read] (aka our Rules of Corporate Responsibility)( Our commitment to social and environmental responsibility, our 2 percent philanthropic practice, fair wages, minimum and maximum compensation, equal benefits for our employees and product creation practices.
Our Code of Conduct [click to read] (Our parameters for a safe, healthy workplace for everyone we work with.